The excerpt from the Arms Control Association newly updated report, “Solving the Iranian Nuclear Puzzle: The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action,“ answers significant questions such as:
- Is Iran still pursuing a covert nuclear weapons program?
- Did the 2013 interim agreement, or Joint Plan of Action (JPOA), halt advances in Iran’s nuclear program?
- Did the UN Security Council resolutions require Iran to permanently halt enrichment, dismantle its enrichment facilities, and dismantle the heavy-water reactor at Arak?
- Did President Obama shift U.S. policy from stopping Iranian enrichment to managing it?
- By allowing Iran to continue its uranium-enrichment program, is the P5+1 recognizing a “right to enrich” under the nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty (NPT)?
- Why doesn’t the JCPOA require Iran to completely dismantle its nuclear weapons capability?
- When did the arms embargo and ballistic missile sanctions become an issue in the negotiations?
- How effective are the existing multilateral constraints on ballistic missile development/proliferation?